Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Study Abroad with Erasmus Plus Program

The Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy has over 60 Erasmus partner universities in Europe.

The Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy has over 60 Erasmus partner universities in Europe.
Image Credit: Bernd Wannenmacher

The Erasmus Plus Study program is one of many opportunities to study for a semester or year at a university in another European country and have the credits earned there credited to Freie Universität. Unlike other programs, studying abroad with Erasmus Plus Studium is relatively easy to organize. You can choose from many universities with which an exchange agreement exists.

An overview of the partner universities is provided by the partnership database. There you will also find many experience reports.

When choosing, please note that a study level is always specified for the places. For example, as a Bachelor student you cannot go to a university that only accepts Master students. In addition, the contacts are only available for the specified field of study. The database offers the necessary filter functions. You should first search for courses you would like to take at the partner universities and consider which courses/modules would be eligible for credit at Freie Universität.

How to apply for Erasmus Plus study:

After you have found a suitable university for an Erasmus+ study abroad program within the partnership database, please find out what is offered at your university of choice and which modules / courses you would like to take there. Afterwards, you should consider for which modules / courses at Freie Universität Berlin you would like to credit these credits abroad. For this purpose, please fill out a "learning agreement" for your first choice only, see below.

Do not send it to the partner university for application, but fill in the "before the mobility" tables and attach it to your application. This way you will know before you apply if and which courses of the partner universities might fit into your study plan. Contact your Erasmus representative if you have acute questions about the learning agreement and would like to discuss your study program/credit possibilities before applying.

The application for Erasmus Plus studies is handled by the Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy, but the final selection of students for the program is again ultimately up to the Erasmus representatives. Please submit all required documents merged into a single PDF. The PDF file should have your name on it.

The application deadline is January 31st of each year.

Please send your application by e-mail to erasmus@bcp.fu-berlin.de.

Preparing a stay abroad

Please read the tips and help carefully. Among other things, you will learn how to organize your own insurance coverage for your stay abroad.

Please include the following documents in a single PDF for your application:

  • Printout of the online application form. You create the form in the OUTGOING portal. Please do not wait until the application deadline on January 31 to do so, as there may be technical difficulties on the last day and the portal may be  closed. In case of technical problems, please contact outgoing-erasmus@fu-berlin.de directly.
  • Short letter of motivation in German or English. Why to this university? How do the courses of the partner university fit into your study program?
  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form
  • Certificate of Enrollment
  • Learning Agreement only for your first choice. For the application you do not send the Learning Agreement to the partner university yet, but only fill in the "before the mobility" tables and attach them to the application. It is only about the fact that you already deal with the question if and which courses of the partner university you could possibly include in your course of studies. You can find the form here.
  • Proof of your performance level, if applicable, printout from Campusmanagement, copy of Bachelor's degree certificate - uncertified
  • Proof of language skill: The proof must not be older than two years, minimum level: B1 or higher - according to the information of the host university. Language certificates are issued by the Language Center, if necessary, after participation in an examination. Please inform yourself there about the requirements. Please research in the partnership database whether you need a higher language certificate than B1 at the host university, as this changes from time to time. Even if the partner university does not specify, you have to prove at least level B1 with a language certificate, but only for the actual language of instruction, which does not always have to be the national language. If you do not manage to hand in your language certificate at the time of application, we will often grant you an extension until around May/June. However, please consider carefully whether your language skills will then really be sufficient to actually take courses in this language at a partner university.

In February the selection of students will take place and you will be notified if you have received a place.