Information on Maternity Protection and Maternity Leave
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
This new stage in your life often brings far-reaching changes for your studies. We will be happy to advise and support you with regard to statutory maternity protection and other questions. Come and see us, we look forward to hearing from you!
The German Act on Protection for Mothers at Work, in Vocational Training and in Study Programs (Maternity Protection Act – Mutterschutzgesetz; MuSchG) has been reformed on January 1, 2018. The special protections afforded under this legislation apply to students at Freie Universität Berlin.
The law aims to prevent health risks to mother and child such as those that can arise from hazardous substances, pathogens, radiation, risk of accident, or particular physical strain or exertion.
You are studying at the Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy in your major subject? Please contact the following person in case of pregnancy or nursing in due time.
- Biology: Dr. Vanessa Zacher, Office of Academic Affairs for Biology
- Chemistry and Biochemistry: Björn Kleier, Office of Academic Affairs for Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Pharmacy: Dr. Vivian Kral
- Doctorate: Dr. Alette Winter
If you are studying with us as a minor subject, we will be happy to help you with any problems concerning your studies, but the official maternity protection advice is provided in your major subject.
In your best interest, we try to enable you to continue your studies according to your needs without further restrictions and without exposing you or your child to any health risks. If we are informed about your upcoming parenthood and/ or your nursing period:
- We can collaborate on tailoring an individualized study plan to suit your circumstances.
- You have the privilege of pre-booking your courses. Register with your Office of Academic Affairs before the specified deadlines for regular course selection, and you will be guaranteed a place in courses with limited capacity.
For more detailed information please also check:
- English info sheets and forms regarding maternity protections for students at the website of the department „Arbeits- und Gesundheitsschutz“ of Freie Universität Berlin
You must immediately inform your contact person (e.g. by e-mail) of any changes to your details. If you do not provide any information, the data provided will remain valid. Further information can be found on the LAGetSi website (in German).