Dr. Mohammed Elbediwi
Rolff Group - Evolutionary Biology
Institute of Biology
Freie Universität Berlin
Researcher ID. AAD – 7874 – 2019
- Ph.D. in molecular microbiology - College of animal science- Department of veterinary medicine - Zhejiang University, China (09. 2017 –12. 2020). (CSC scholarship awardee).
- M.Sc. in food microbiology - Faculty of veterinary medicine - Cairo University- Egypt (07. 2012- 12. 2015).
- Post-graduate diploma in food microbiology - Faculty of veterinary medicine - Suez Canal University - Egypt (3.2011- 3.2012).
- B.Sc. of veterinary medicine, Faculty of veterinary medicine- Suez Canal University - Egypt (09. 2006-07. 2010).
|13.10.2022 – till now||Postdoctoral researcher, Rising Star –Fellowships for young talents in the Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany (Prof. Jens Rolff).|
|05.2022 – 09.2022||visiting scholar in college of animal science, University of Maryland, USA.|
|01.2021 – 04.2022||Post-doctoral researcher in college of animal science, Zhejiang University, China.|
|09.2017 –12.2020||Ph.D. student and T.A, college of animal science, Zhejiang University, China.|
|02.2012 –08.2017||an assistant researcher (food microbiologist) in food inspection lab., Animal Health Research Institute, ARC, Egypt.|
Experience, competences and skills
1 - My scientific production has been disseminated into several relevant fields, including One Health approach, microbiology, infectious diseases, molecular biology, antimicrobial resistance and bioinformatics.
2 - This is summarized in 19 articles (19 in JCR, 12 of them as first author and co-first author). All of my publications are in the Q1 of their respective scientific fields. My h-index is 13; 560 sum of times cited Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=9dqSkrkAAAAJ&hl=en).
3 - Collaboration with international renowned research teams (Prof. Shelley Rankin, Pennsylvania University, USA; Prof. Andreja Rajkovic, Ghent University, Belgium; Prof. Weihuan Fang, Zhejiang University, China; and Dr. Hazem Ramadan, USDA, USA).
4 - Teaching experience for 1 year in M.Sc. program (Molecular bacteriology course with Prof. Min Yue) in the college of animal sciences- Zhejiang University 2020-2021 winter semester.
5 - Active participation in editorial and peer-review processes for top-ranked journals (e.g., BMC microbiology, Emerging microbe and infection, frontiers in microbiology and frontiers in veterinary medicine).
Research grants, awards and academic scholarships
1 - Principal investigator (PI) of “National Natural Science Funds, China- Research Fund for International Young Scientists grant (number: 32150410374)”, (2021-2022), 200,000 ￥. Proposal titled “integrated Omics approach to understand the development of the antimicrobial resistance process during bacterial experimental evolution assay”.
2 - Participation in funded research projects in China and EU project from European Union’s Horizon 2020, (2017-2022). - National Program on Key Research Project of China (2017YFC1600103, 2018YFD0500501 and 2019YFE0103900), Zhejiang Provincial Key R&D Program of China (2020C02032), Zhejiang Provincial NSFC of China (LR19C180001), European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Program under Grant Agreement No. 861917–SAFFI.
3 - China Scholarship council (CSC) scholarship for pursing PhD in Zhejiang University (2017- 2020).
4 - Rising Star – Junior Fellowships for young talents in the Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany (10.2022-9.2024).
The evolution and spread of antimicrobial resistance in bacterial pathogens are a rising threat to the public health. The rate of antimicrobial resistance in several bacterial pathogens is accelerating worldwide, and the resulting failures of antibiotic therapy led to hundreds of thousands of deaths per year. My research interests are focused on the molecular investigations on both acquired and adaptive antimicrobial resistance (through the experimental evolution assay) in different MDR bacteria. Besides, the molecular investigation and prevalence of the food-borne pathogens via food chain. Currently, in addition to previous interest, I aim to address the long-term challenge posed by the evolution of the adaptive antimicrobial resistant pathogens, by using bacterial experimental evolution, therefore it will help in overcoming the drug-resistant infection. This goal could not be achieved without deep understanding of interactions between drugs, environmental conditions (aerobic and anaerobic), resistance mutations and potential role of the RNAs which need an experience with the biological data analysis advanced tools and methods.
Peer review publications
A - As a first or co-first author:
13. Elbediwi M*, Tang Y, Yue M* (2022). Genomic characterization of ESBL-producing Salmonella Thompson isolates harboring mcr-9 from dead chick embryos in China, Veterinary microbiology.
12. Tang B#, Elbediwi M#, Nambiar R, Yang H, Lin J, Yue M*. (2022) Genomic Characterization of Antimicrobial-Resistant Salmonella enterica in duck, chicken and pig farms in Eastern China. Microbiol Spectrum. 2022 Sep 1:e0125722. doi: 10.1128/spectrum.01257-22. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36047803.
11. Habib I# *, Elbediwi M#, Ghazawi A, Mohamed M , Lakshmi G , Khan M (2022). First Report from Supermarket Chicken Meat and Genomic Characterization of Colistin Resistance Mediated by mcr-1.1 in ESBL-Producing, Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Minnesota. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 379, 2022.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2022.109835.
10. Elbediwi M#, Tang Y#, Shi D#, Ramadan H, Xu Y, Xu S, Li Y, Yue M* (2021). Genomic Investigation of Antimicrobial-Resistant Salmonella enterica Isolates from Dead Chick Embryos in China. Frontiers in Microbiology. DOI:10.3389/fmicb.2021.684400
9. Elbediwi M#, Shi D#, Biswas S#, Xu X, Yue M *(2021). Changing patterns of Salmonella enterica serovar Rissen from humans, food animals, and animal-derived foods in China, 1995–2019. Frontiers in Microbiology DOI: 10.3389/fmicb.2021.702909.
8. Elbediwi M#, Pan H #, Xiao Zhu, Rankin S, Schifferli D, Yue M* (2021). Detection of mcr-9 harboring ESBL-bearing Salmonella Newport from an Outbreak in a Large Animal Teaching Hospital, United States. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, dkaa544, https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkaa544.
7. Elbediwi M#, Pan H#, Biswas S #, Li Y, Yue M* (2020). Emerging colistin resistance in Salmonella enterica serovar Newport isolates from human infections. Emerging Microbes & Infections 9:1, 535-538. DOI: 10.1080/22221751.2020.1733439.
6. Elbediwi M#, Wu B#, Pan H#, Jiang Z, Biswas S, Yue M* (2020). Genomic Characterization of mcr-1-carrying Salmonella enterica serovar 4,,12:i:-ST34 clone in China. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology 8:663. DOI: 10.3389/fbioe.2020.00663.
5. Yu H#, Elbediwi M#, Zhou X, Shuai H, Lou X, Wang H, Li Y, Yue M* (2020) Epidemiological and Genomic Characterization of Campylobacter jejuni Isolates from a Foodborne Outbreak at Hangzhou, China. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 21, 3001. DOI: 10.3390/ijms21083001.
4. Biswas S#, Elbediwi M#, Gu G#, Yue M* (2020) Genomic Characterization of New Variant of Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)-Producing Escherichia coli with Multidrug Resistance Properties Carrying the mcr-1 Gene in China. Antibiotics 13;9(2). pii: E80. DOI: 10.3390/antibiotics9020080.
3. Liu Q#, Chen W#, Elbediwi M#, Pan H, Wang L, Zhou C, Zhao B, Xu X, Li D, Yan X, Han X, Li H, Li Y, Yue M* (2020). Characterization of Salmonella Resistome and Plasmidome in Pork Production System in Jiangsu, China. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. DOI: 10.3389/fvets.2020.00617
2. Elbediwi M#, Li Y#, Paudyal N#, Pan H#, Li X, Xie S, Rajkovic A, Feng Y, Fang W, Rankin S, Yue M* (2019) Global Burden of Colistin Resistant Bacteria: Mobilized Colistin Resistant Genes Study 1980-2018. Microorganisms 7(10), 461. DOI: 10.3390/microorganisms7100461.
1. Biswas S#, Li Y#, Elbediwi M#, Yue M* (2019) Emergence and Dissemination of mcr- Carrying Clinically Relevant Salmonella Typhimurium Monophasic Clone ST34. Microorganisms 28;7(9). pii: E298. DOI: 10.3390/microorganisms7090298.
As a co- author:
6. Peng X, Ed-Dra A, Song Y, Elbediwi M, Nambiar RB, Zhou X and Yue M (2022) Lacticaseibacillus rhamnosus alleviates intestinal inflammation and promotes microbiota-mediated protection against Salmonella fatal infections. Frontiers in Immunology. 13:973224. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2022.973224.
5. Tartor YH, Abd El-Aziz NK, Gharieb RMA, El Damaty HM, Enany S, Soliman EA, Abdellatif SS, Attia ASA, Bahnass MM, El-Shazly YA, Elbediwi M, and Ramadan H (2021). Whole-Genome Sequencing of Gram-Negative Bacteria Isolated from Bovine Mastitis and Raw Milk: The First Emergence of Colistin mcr-10 and Fosfomycin fosA5 Resistance Genes in Klebsiella pneumoniae in Middle East. Frontiers in Microbiology 12:770813. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2021.770813.
4. Ramadan H, Soliman AM, Hiott LM, Elbediwi M, Woodley TA, Chattaway MA, Jenkins C, Frye JG, Jackson CR (2021). Emergence of Multidrug-Resistant Escherichia coli Producing CTX-M, MCR-1, and FosA in Retail Food from Egypt. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 11:681588. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2021.681588.
3. Jiang Z#, Anwar T#, Peng X, Biswas S, Elbediwi M, Li Y, Fang W, Yue M (2021). Prevalence and Antimicrobial Resistance of Salmonella Recovered from Pig-borne Food Products in Henan, China. Food Control DOI: 10.1016/j. Food control.2020.107535.
2. Xu, X.#; Biswas, S. #; Gu, G. #; Elbediwi M; Li, Y.; Yue, M (2020). Characterization of Multidrug Resistance Patterns of Emerging Salmonella enterica Serovar Rissen along the Food Chain in China. Antibiotics 2020, 9, 660.
1. Paudyal N#, Pan H#, Elbediwi M, Zhou X, Peng X, Li X, Fang W, Yue M* (2019) Characterization of Salmonella Dublin isolated from Bovine and Human Hosts. BMC Microbiology 19(1):226. DOI: 10.1186/s12866-019-1598-0.
* Corresponding author.
# Equal contribution.