Dendritic polymer architectures as functional mimics of biomacromolecules
The subgroup “new polymer architectures and 2D materials” specializes on the development of new polymeric structures and functionalized 2D materials for biomedical applications. The polymer design as well as functionalization of 2D materials is connected with the final application orientation, such as virus inhibition and cancer therapy. In our subgroup we synthesize and functionalize different 2D materials using various “grafting-from” and “grafting-to” approaches. One of the methods to functionalize materials is based on the triazine chemistry. We have a broad expertise based on various characterization methods, including bulk methods, like TGA, IR, NMR, UV-Vis, fluorescence spectroscopies, as well as surface-sensitive methods, like AFM, Cryo-TEM, SEM, XPS, ToF-SIMS and other methods.
Large scale of biodegradable polyglycerol sulfate for application in targeted tumor therapy (left) and functionalized graphene nanosheets for effective virus binding and destruction by (left).
In drug delivery applications polymers are used either as unimolecular nanocarrier systems or as a building block for supramolecular assemblies such as micelles or vesicles. The polymers are designed in a way to release the drug in response to different stimuli such as enzymatic degradation, acidic conditions, and red-ox environments. The figure shows a polymerization performed on a 100 g scale in a 5 L reactor to produce biodegradable polymers which can be used for anti-inflammatory and drug delivery purposes.
- Zhong et al., Tumor Microenvironment-Activatable Nanoenzymes for Mechanical Remodeling of Extracellular Matrix and Enhanced Tumor Chemotherapy. Adv. Funct. Mater., 2021, 31, 2007544.
- Braatz et al., Toolbox of Biodegradable Dendritic (Poly glycerol sulfate)–SS-poly(ester) Micelles for Cancer Treatment: Stability, Drug Release, and Tumor Targeting. Biomacromolecules 2021, 22, 2625.
- Donskyi et al., Graphene Sheets with Defined Dual Functionalities for the Strong SARS-CoV-2 Interactions. Small, 2021, 17, 2007091.
- Mohammadifar et al., Graphene-Assisted Synthesis of 2D Polyglycerols as Innovative Platforms for Multivalent Virus Interactions. Adv. Funct. Mater., 2021, 31, 2009003.
- Ahmadi et al., One-pot gram-scale synthesis of virucidal heparin-mimicking polymers as HSV-1 inhibitors. Chem. Commun., 2021,57, 11948.