WiSe 2014-2015 Polymeric and Macromolecular Therapeutic and Diagnostic Agents
Master Program Chemistry (Chemie) and Polymer Science, Course n° 21233.Lecturers
Course starts on Thursday 16.10.2014 and takes place Thursdays, 2 - 5pm, room 34.16/17.
The exam will consist in a talk / ppt presentation about a recent publication (10-15 min) related to at least one of the topics studied during the course followed by 10-15 min questions by the two examiners, half on the topic of the publication, half on the lecture in general.
Moreover the students will be asked to discuss papers once during the lecture as training for the exam.
If you did not receive the mail with the doodle calendar request regarding the dates of the exam, please contact one of the lecturers directly.Outline
- Basics on drug classes for therapy and diagnostic imaging.
- Basics on pathophysiology: genetic diseases, human viral diseases, cancer.
- Background on pharmacology, active and passive targeting in cancer therapy.
- Classes of polymer therapeutics: polymeric drug or sequestrant, polymer-drug conjugates, polymer-protein conjugates.
- Multivalent macromolecular architectures: dendrimers, hyperbranched polymers, dendronized polymers & Multivalency as novel mode of action.
- Polymer based therapeutics such as gels (nanogels, hydrogels), nanospheres, microspheres.
- Self assembled macromolecular/polymeric nanostructures: micelles formed by polymers and dendritic amphiphiles, vesicles made from phospholipids (liposomes), Janus dendrimers (dendrimersomes) or polymers (polymersomes), and other nanocapsules (LbL).
- Polymers and macromolecules for gene therapy (concept of polyelectrolyte, polyion complexe micelles-PIC): dendriplexes, polyplexes.
- Nanotheranostics, biological fate of polymeric particles.
- Clinical approval of polymer therapeutics.
- Polymer Therapeutics I: Polymers as Drugs, Conjugates and Gene Delivery Systems. Edited by R. Satchi-Fainaro and R. Duncan. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 2006, ISBN: 978-3-540-29210-4.
- Polymer Therapeutics II: Polymers as Drugs, Conjugates and Gene Delivery Systems. Edited by R. Satchi-Fainaro and R. Duncan. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 2006, ISBN: 978-3-540-29211-1.
Chemistry of Bioconjugates: Synthesis, Characterization, and Biomedical Applications. Edited by Ravin Narain. John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2014, ISBN: 978-1-118-35914-3.