SoSe 2017 Polymeric and Inorganic Bio(nano)materials for Biomedical Applications v2.0
Master Program Chemistry (Chemie) and Polymer Science, Course n° 21238.Lecturers
5 credits, 4 SWS.
Course starts on Wednesday 19.04.2017 and takes place Wednesdays, 9am - 1pm, room 23.03.Exam and students participation
Educational objectives (inorganic bio(nano)materials): know for each family of nanoparticles the main types of syntheses, properties and some examples of biomedical applications, where the given properties are exploited.
The exam will consist in a talk / ppt presentation about a recent publication (10-15 min) related to at least one of the topics studied during the course followed by 10-15 min questions by the two examiners, half on the topic of the publication, half on the lecture in general.
Moreover the students will be asked to discuss papers once during the lecture as training for the exam.Outline part inorganic bio(nano)materials
- Introduction to inorganic nanomaterials
- Synthesis, properties and biomedical applications of inorganic nanoparticles:
- Metal NPs: gold, silver
- Metal oxide NPs: iron oxide, zinc oxide
- Silica-based NPs: silica NPs, mesoporous silica NPs, polyorganosiloxane NPs
- Quantum dots
- Carbon-based NPs: fullerenes, carbon nanotubes & graphene
Surface functionalization of NPs for biomedical applications
Inorganic artificial biomaterials: implants, scaffolds for bone engineering, etc.
- Nanoparticles: From Theory to Application. Edited by Gunter Schmid. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2nd Completely Revised and Updated Edition, 2010, ISBN: 978-3-527-32589-4.
- Nanochemistry : A Chemical Approach to Nanomaterials. Edited by Geoffrey A Ozin, André Arsenault and Ludovico Cademartiri. RSC Publishing, Cambridge, Second Edition, 2008, ISBN: 978-1-84755-895-4.