Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope Leica SP8 (2)
Confocal laser scanning microscopy enables optical sectioning of multilayer fluorescent specimens with high contrast by applying a pinhole in the optics. It is therefore possible to image a thin optical slice out of a thick specimen (up to 100 µm) that represents under optimal conditions a slice of app. 500 nm.
The CLSM SP8 (2) based on a DMi8 CEL Compact allows precise detection of fluorophores in your samples. The system excites via diode lasers at 405, 488, 552, or 638 nm. The SP8(2) has two standard GaAsp photomultipliers (PMTs) and one extremely sensitive Hybrid detector (HyD), combining PMT and avalanche photodiode (APD) technology.
The system is optimized for confocal microscopy with standard dyes (DAPI, Alexa488, Alexa555/Cy3, Alexa648/Cy5, etc.) and gives, in combination with its strong and stable diode lasers, convincing results with the given limitations in excitation. The microscope is comparably easy to use as it is pretty stripped down to the components necessary for confocal microscopy in combination with the newest generation of Leica microscopes with a user-friendly touchscreen. All immersion objectives are optimized for oil immersion. „Conventional“ light-microscopy with the Trans-PMT or oculars, respectively, is rather sophisticated as, unlike for the confocal detection, objectives, aperture and filters have to be set manually. The system has no incubation chamber.
Detailed specifications CLSM Leica SP8 (2)
- DMi8 CEL Compact stand (inverted)
- Semi-Motorized scanning stage (manual xy)
- 405 nm Diode Laser
- 488 nm Diode Laser
- 552 nm Diode Laser
- 638 nm Diode Laser
Conventional fluorescence filters for eyepiece visualization:
- Blue DAPI LP Excitation: BP 360/40 Emission: LP 425
- Green FITC LP Excitation: BP 470/40 Emission: LP 515
- Red RHOD LP Excitation: BP 540/45 Emission: LP 590
- 10x/0.30 HC PL FLUOTAR WD 11 mm
- 40x/1.30 HC PL APO Oil CS2 WD 0.24mm
- 63x/1.40 HC PL APO Oil CS2 WD 0.14mm
- 20x/0.75 HC PL APO Imm Corr (oil, water, glycerol) CS2 WD 0.68 mm
- SP8 LIAchroics Compact RGB
- Three channels - two PMTs, one HyD - high sensitivity Hybrid Detectors - | PMT1 | PMT2 | HyD1
- All spectral detectors (AOTF)
- Motorized transmitted light detector
- HP Z420 Workstation, Windows 7-64 bit, LAS X with LAS X Dye Finder and LAS X 3D Visualisation